New cat tree? This is what you need to know! – PetrebelsAdmin
Everything you need to know about your new cat tree!
Have you bought a new cat tree or are you looking for tips on scratching posts? Then this is the place to be! Because here we tell you everything you need to know: how to get your cat to use the scratching post, the best place to put it, how many scratching posts you need and how to maintain it. And also how to replace loose parts. Read along!
Teaching your cat to use a scratching post. Here’s how to do it!
Cats are creatures of habit. If your cat is used to scratching your sofa, your cat may not use the new scratching post right away. But you can fix that. Because although cats are incredibly stubborn, they are also very smart. And you can teach them all sorts of things, as long as you make it interesting enough for them. So deploy the two most important ‘power tools’ for cats: attention and cat treats. And combine that with the 5-step plan below for best results.
- Grab a favourite treat or kibble for your cat.
- Let your cat smell it, but don’t give it yet.
- Sit with your cat by the cat tree and gently encourage your cat to scratch.
- When your cat starts scratching, give it the treat and a cuddle or stroke.
- Repeat this until your cat scratches the scratching post of its own accord.
Are tasty food and treats having no effect? Then you can also try using a fun cat toy. And did you know that the location of the cat tree is also very important?
The best spot for a cat tree
Even if you buy the most beautiful cat tree in the whole world, if it is in the wrong place, chances are your cat will not use it. And that would be a shame. But what is the best place for a cat tree? This is the advice from our scratching post experts:
- – Always put the scratching post in your cat’s walking route.
– And never in a place where your cat never comes.
– Do you have several cats? Put a scratching post on each individual route.
– Always put the scratching post in an area where your cat often and likes to be.
– Do you have several cat trees? Then also put one where your cat enters the room – near the cat flap or a door.
And did you know that it is often better to have more than one scratching post in the house? No, then read on, because we’ll explain to you below how.
How many cat trees do you need?
The number of cat trees you need depends on a number of factors. Is your cat quiet and often outside? Then one scratching post is often enough. But is your cat a real scratcher, does your cat have a lot of energy or do you live with more than one cat? Then it’s good to have several scratching posts in the house. Choose a large scratching post or XXL cat tree as a base and supplement it with other types. Find tips here:
- Alternate large cat trees with small cat trees
- And vertical cat trees with horizontal scratching mats
- Don’t have a lot of space? Then perhaps add a wall scratching mat or a corner scratching mat
Do you have a kitten in your home? Then you can start with one scratching post, because that’s more than enough for such a little fluff ball. Do choose a scratching post that is specially designed for small cats. And do you want to enjoy your scratching post for a long time? Then maintain it properly!
Cleaning and maintaining your cat tree
If you buy a new scratching post, of course you and your cat want to enjoy it for a long time – that’s sustainable and nice for your wallet. It is therefore important to take good care of your scratching post. Here’s how to do it:
- Vacuum out the cat tree every week with a hoover.
- Wash the cushions once every 2 weeks at 30 degrees.
- And in the summer season (if there are fleas) wash them every week.
Replacing parts of your Petrebels cat tree?
We use durable materials of the best quality for our scratching posts, because it is important to us that they last a long time. Still, things can break down – if your cat always scratches the same scratching post, for instance. If you’ve bought a scratching post from us, you’re in luck. You don’t have to buy a new one if something breaks, because you can order as many as 2,400 different spare parts from us. Want to know more? Contact our spare parts service